I wrote a lot about the inventiveness of my students. Here is more proof.
Puzzle. A police officer saw a truck driver going the wrong way down a one-way street but didn’t try to stop him. Why?
Many of my students came up with the expected answer:
The truck driver was walking.
They also found some legit ways for a truck driver to not be stopped.
- The police officer was too far away.
- There was construction nearby, so the police officer directed the driver to drive the wrong way.
- The truck was a fire truck responding to an emergency.
- The driver bribed the police officer.
- The driver was a kid playing with a toy truck.
Some more ideas, rather far-fetched.
- The police officer was off duty, so he called another police officer to stop the driver.
- The truck driver was going too fast to stop.
- The police officer was responding to a bank robbery, and stopping the truck driver was not high priority.
- The police officer was driving the wrong way too, and it would be hypocritical to stop the truck driver.
- The street was a dead end, and the only way out was to go the wrong way.
Some funny ones.
- The police officer had a history of hallucinating and thought the truck driver was a figment of his imagination.
- The police officer was a ghost.
- The police officer was the truck driver.
- The police officer was busy eating a donut.
- The truck driver was the police officer’s boss.
- The truck driver was the police officer’s grandma.