A movie passes the Bechdel Test if these three statements about it are true:
- There are at least two named women in it
- Who talk to each other
- About something besides a man.
Surely there should be a movie where two women talk about the Bechdel test. But I digress.
The Bechdel test website rates famous movies. Currently they have rated 4,683 movies and 56% pass the test. More than half of the movies pass the test. There is hope. Right? Actually they have a separate list of the top 250 famous movies. Only 70 movies, or 28%, from this list pass the test.
My son Alexey suggested the obvious reverse Bechdel test, which is more striking than the Bechdel test. A movie doesn’t pass the test if it
- Has at least two named men characters
- Whenever they talk to each other
- They only talk about women.
I can’t think of any movie like that. Can you?